Smoke & Mirrors












































































Sometimes being fashionable is hard. It takes serious effort and thought, and sometimes I neither have the desire nor the time. I LOVE getting dolled up, but from a practicality standpoint, sometimes it just isn’t an option.
For instance, say you overslept because you went a little overboard at 2-4-1 margarita night last night and now have (fill in the blank important event), but you’re going to be lucky to get a toothbrush in your mouth and still make it on time. We’ve all been there (haven’t we??). Those ratty sweatpants and greasy ponytail just aren’t going to cut it today. What to do?
Enter in today’s look. I call it, Smoke & Mirrors, the fashion illusion.
First step: hat. I LOVE hats; particularly on those days when blow-drying/flat ironing/curling(or even washing) just aren’t an option. Hats have helped me perpetuate a put-together look when I’ve been anything but on several occasions. Admittedly, I have been the margarita drinking girl I mentioned above more than once, and I am notorious for oversleeping.
Step two: Buffet dress. No, that’s not a real thing, but it’s so fitting! What I mean by buffet dress is one where you can hit the buffet multiple times and not worry about scorn and ridicule from passersby due to your now bulging belly. I believe the correct term is ‘trapeze dress’ or ‘empire waist.’ But I think buffet dress gets the point across just fine. Bonus if you can find it in some sort of soft cotton. This makes me feel extra sneaky as I feel like I’m secretly wearing pajamas.
Step three: Accessories.  Remember how I said I love hats? (I hope so, cause it was two paragraphs ago.) This is another added bonus. A hat makes such a statement, you can really tone down on accessorizing. I generally find over-sized sunglasses and maybe a necklace to suffice.
Step four: Make up. This is key. If you’re one of those natural beauties that doesn’t need a lick of makeup, well, I have some choice words for you, but suffice it to say I’m jealous. I am not one of those ladies, so in this instance, tinted moisturizer, mascara and lipstick. If there's only time for one, go lipstick. Pick a shade, it doesn’t matter. To me, no matter what, lipstick looks elegant, (assuming you keep it off your teeth) makes you look like you put in an effort, and you can throw it on in no time flat.
Now this, in my humble opinion, is a fashion contribution. We can all look lovely when we have hours and hours, but this is a 5 minutes or less look. And I am telling you…there is no sweeter feeling than when someone yells, ‘hey, cute outfit!’ on a day like this. Your soul will sing as you smile and think “I have pulled it off!”

Outfit: Dress: Express (sold out in grey, only a few left in plum) similar here // Hat (old) very similar here //Necklace: Stella and Dot // Booties: BCBG (old) nearly identical

0 comments:

Post a Comment